I started with dark chocolate fudge cupcakes and filled them with milk chocolate ganache, then layered chopped mini Reese's cups with peanut butter frosting.
I didn't have a recipe for the PB frosting, so I just adapted a basic buttercream by cutting the butter and replacing it with peanut butter. I was worried about it being too oily, but it turned out fluffy and light--perfecto. In fact, it turns out that this frosting is dangerous for me. I could have easily sat on the couch with the entire mixer bowl full and a spoon, inhaling it and happily watching trashy television all day.
Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4+ cups powdered sugar (I started with four cups and kept adding a little more until I got the texture I wanted--this may have been almost five cups)
Milk Chocolate Ganache Filling
- 8 oz milk chocolate chips
- 4 oz heavy whipping cream
In the jars, I reversed the frosting and the ganache because it helps sort of seal in the cupcake and keep things fresh. I froze them and sent some of them UPS to Dr. Susan and served the others when Hally was over for lunch.