Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Peanut butter chocolate cupcakes

I have two sisters graduating this semester.  One is an amazing artist and the other a doctor.  As in PhD.  Pretty incredible, right?  I think so.  I couldn't let these occasions pass by without doing something for them. Since my cupcakes in a jar trial run was a success, I decided to do another batch of them in a flavor I know they both love:  Peanut butter and chocolate.  I made a double batch; half in the jars for the grad girls and the other half as regular cupcakes.



I started with dark chocolate fudge cupcakes and filled them with milk chocolate ganache, then layered chopped mini Reese's cups with peanut butter frosting.

I didn't have a recipe for the PB frosting, so I just adapted a basic buttercream by cutting the butter and replacing it with peanut butter.  I was worried about it being too oily, but it turned out fluffy and light--perfecto.  In fact, it turns out that this frosting is dangerous for me. I could have easily sat on the couch with the entire mixer bowl full and a spoon, inhaling it and happily watching trashy television all day.

Peanut Butter Frosting
  • 1/2 cup salted butter
  • 1 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 4+ cups powdered sugar (I started with four cups and kept adding a little more until I got the texture I wanted--this may have been almost five cups)
Whip the butter and peanut butter to a fluffy consistency.  Add vanilla extract and then the powdered sugar a half cup at a time.

Milk Chocolate Ganache Filling
  • 8 oz milk chocolate chips 
  • 4 oz heavy whipping cream
 Heat the cream on the stove.  Put the chocolate chips into a glass bowl and pour the cream over the top.  Cover and let this rest for about five minutes then whisk.

In the jars, I reversed the frosting and the ganache because it helps sort of seal in the cupcake and keep things fresh.  I froze them and sent some of them UPS to Dr. Susan and served the others when Hally was over for lunch. 


No comments:

Post a Comment