Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A couple of birthday cakes

I made mini cakes for a couple of people recently to celebrate their birthdays.

The first was for a fashionista friend--the one I made the tiny edible shoe and giant cupcake for last year.  This year I went with a mini clutch purse "cakelet"--a one or two serving size cake--since she wouldn't want to have an entire cake at home.  I froze my chocolate cake, then stacked, frosted and carved it before I covered it with fondant.  I used the spray color on the fondant for the base color and then painted the leopard pattern on.


The other cake wasn't so much a cake as it was cake-shaped.  Sara looooooves rice krispie treats with frosting (I mean, who doesn't??).  So I made her a double layer rice krispie cake covered with cream cheese frosting for her birthday. There wasn't much I could do with it in terms of decoration--the frosting trim I tried to put around it just wouldn't stay put--so I just pressed m&ms on the top and around the bottom of it. It isn't the prettiest thing, but that isn't really what mattered this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment