Wednesday, May 11, 2011

More rolling mill earrings

I started these projects a very long time ago, but couldn't seem to figure out how I wanted to use the metal. I rolled a sheet of brass with some sort of flexible screen I found in the garage.


Here's where I can get in trouble.  Sometimes I get some sort of weird tactile crush on metal like this.  I run my fingers over it again and again while I'm trying to figure out what I want to make.  I tell myself I'm thinking.  Or letting the metal tell ME what it wants to be.  That's really just BS.  One of my sisters used to rub her blanket while she sucked her thumb when she was little for comfort.  I think this is my version of that...except I'm pushing 40 and I'm supposed to be a responsible adult. 

Anyway. Flash forward three weeks, when I finally decided I would cut discs out of the brass.


Lots of them.  Like 30.  At this stage, they lose their soothing quality because my fingers hit the edge of the disc almost immediately.  I had such grandiose ideas about what to do with them...and most of them involved using every single one in one pair of earrings in some sort of metal cascade.  This failed and I put them aside for another couple of weeks. 

So here is what I ended up with for the first pair--oxidized and hanging with smoky quartz.  


The rest of them are sitting in a big pile on my desk. I keep picking them up and looking at them, but that's about as far as it has gone. I still think about the metal cascade and might be hoping the answer to that construction will come to me in the middle of the night.

I also had some sterling sheet I had rolled with steel wool (in case you don't know this, steel wool is incredibly messy when you pull it apart.  I'm not sure I will ever have every bit actually cleaned up) that I finally turned into a pair of earrings:

No comments:

Post a Comment