Friday, August 13, 2010

Ice cream cone...cakes

Bakerella posted on her blog about these and when I saw them, I knew I had to try them.


They look like mini ice cream cones, but there is no ice cream involved.  Instead, they are filled with cake--red velvet with cream cheese frosting.  I used a method that Bakerella is well known for using in the caking community--little cake bites.  To make them, I baked the cake as usual.  When it cooled, I raked a fork through the cake to break it up and added frosting to the mess.  Then I scooped out spoonfuls of the cake and frosting mixture into the ice cream cones and put them in the freezer to firm up. 

Supposedly, you can find mini ice cream cones.  I didn't, so I cut down regular sized ones with my kitchen shears.  (Sure, the kitchen shears were overkill.  But I wasn't quite sure how to do it with a knife without crushing them.)


After they came out of the freezer, I dipped the cake on top of the cones in melted chocolate and decorated them with sprinkles.  They take longer than I care to admit, but they were fun to make. 

I went with peanut butter m&ms for the cherry on top of the ice cream.



See?  No ice cream.



The best part of these is that they don't have to be perfect; the chocolate can drip, the cone can fall over--it doesn't matter.






I even had enough of the cake mixture left to make cake bites--always a nice treat!







No comments:

Post a Comment