Sunday, August 29, 2010

Easy embellishments

This weekend I made cupcakes for a wedding shower and decided to add a few fondant flowers to them.  I love these little embellishments--they feed my need to add something fun, but without becoming too crazy.  Plus, they take almost no effort with the right tools.

I used the pasta attachment on my KitchenAid mixer to roll out the fondant.  (Ok, this isn't a necessity...a roller will absolutely get the job done. But it's a beautiful thing to just put the fondant in at the top and have it roll out, all the same thickness, with no fanfare in about ten seconds.)  Then I used a plastic five petal cookie cutter, popped out the shapes, and used this silicone flower veiner:


It takes the cutout from this


to this:



Then I put them in little flower formers to keep their shape while they dried and I frosted the cupcakes. I added the flowers at the very end, along with some sugar pearls for the centers.


Even though I am all about over the top decorations when it comes to caking, I like that you may not notice the flowers at first, but as you get closer, can see the details.



No comments:

Post a Comment