So when she asked me if I could make her a ladybug pendant to hang from her copper neck cuff, I was excited to give it a whirl. I wanted to be sure we were thinking along the same lines so I sent her a quick sketch of what I was thinking and got the green light to go to the next step.
The basic components are fairly simple - two copper discs that are the same size for the base and the wings and a smaller piece for the top.
I cut a few slices of copper tubing to create the spots on the wings and soldered all of the pieces together. Then I added a slight concave shape to it by using a hammer to shape it over a wood dapping block.
The initial sanding and polishing was promising, but something just didn't feel right about it when it was all cleaned up. So after I tumbled it a final time I tried out a brushed satin finish. That felt right. I admit I'm kind of in love with it. I can't wait to get it to AVD and see what she thinks!