Sunday, March 31, 2013

April fool's day treat: pizza cookie

Ben and I have so much fun making our April Fool's Day treats. We talk about what we're going to make and how we will do it for a couple of weeks in advance.  In the past we've done tv dinners, submarine sandwiches and fries, and nachos...but we don't want to recycle any of our past projects.

This year we decided to make a dessert that looked like a pepperoni pizza, and I have to say it was - by far - the easiest of the April Fool's desserts we've made.



I made two batches of sugar cookie dough then rolled it out on a pizza pan covered with parchment paper.  I baked it in a 350 degree oven and started checking it at about 12 minutes.


After the cookie cooled, I added buttercream frosting tinted red for the sauce and a few lines of white for cheese.  That part was completely unnecessary; I thought it might help add something to the background of the design but it turned out I couldn't see any of it in the end and should have just skipped that step.


Ben and I shredded white chocolate and added it to the top of the cookie pizza for the cheese.  We started out by shredding it into a bowl and sprinkling it over the top but quickly realized this was a mistake.  Half of the shredded chocolate was melting on our fingers and making it hard not to end up with clumps of chocolate on the pizza that looked very un-cheeselike.  So we started shredding directly onto the pizza and that worked much better.

We used a small circle cookie cutter to make pepperoni pieces out of fruit roll ups and added those on top of the cheese.


I cut the cookie with a pizza cutter to make eight pieces initially, but they were huge when you think about what they are - a slab of cookie covered in frosting and chocolate.  I mean, just because *I* can eat that much doesn't mean anyone should.






So I went back through and cut them to 16 pieces to take for dessert to Easter dinner.  Not very Easterish, I know.  But what are we supposed to do when the two holidays fall so close together?

No comments:

Post a Comment