Saturday, August 11, 2012

New metal pieces

Last weekend I spent several hours at the jewelry bench for the first time in months. I've made some commissioned pieces here and there but this was a couple of mornings of just tinkering to see what I could come up with.

I started out with some sterling and a glass cabochon I made on a flat mandrel a long time ago.  I love, love, love the colors in that glass.  Dreeeeeeamy.  


I made this ring at the same time--a very different feel with copper and sterling tubing added to a hammered base with a brushed satin finish.



I did a lot of prep work with the rolling mill, texturing copper with fabric, paper, and other metal.  Maybe I'm the only person who feels this way, but if I use the rolling mill for an hour I feel like I've been lifting some serious weights.  Maybe I'm too impatient and try to tighten it too early...I don't know, but by the time I'm done I'm sweating and my arms are sore.  It feels like it takes my whole body to push and pull that metal through.  I ended up with some great patterns and made a pair of earrings with sterling rivets.




No comments:

Post a Comment