Saturday, March 27, 2010

Thin mint cupcakes

I despise Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies. There, I said it. People look at me like I have made some politically incorrect announcement when I declare my hatred for them; apparently I am the only one who feels this way. It isn't as though I haven't tried. I have probably eaten hundreds of them over the years, trying to see if I like them NOW. I don't.

So when we got our GS cookie shipment from my niece, I stacked them in piles (yes, we had enough boxes to make piles) of Thin Mints and Not Thin Mints. Good and Bad. Why do I order them if I hate them? Everyone else in the house loves them. Even so, every time I see them, I am generally disgusted. So I started thinking about how I could get rid of them as quickly as possible. I put a couple of boxes in the basement freezer. The bulk of what was left went into this recipe for Thin Mint cupcakes.



I decided to take these to work, so I made a double batch of the batter. I used my soda replacement recipe for the cupcakes, then added the cookies:

Thin Mint Cupcakes
Two boxes of Devil's Food cake mix
24 ounces of Diet Rite soda
Two sleeves of Thin Mints, crushed.
Mix all of the ingredients well and bake as directed on the cake mix box.

The cream cheese frosting has just a bit of peppermint extract in place of the vanilla extract to carry that mint flavor through the whole cupcake. I tinted the frosting green and put a sign out in front of the cupcakes to warn people that they were mint-flavored...as a non-mint person, I would feel like someone slapped me if I took a bite of what I thought was a chocolate cupcake and found out mint was involved.

Mint Cream Cheese Frosting
1 stick of butter
6 oz cream cheese
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 teaspoon of peppermint extract
4.5 cups powdered sugar
Mix the butter, cream cheese, and extracts together, then add the powdered sugar a little bit at a time until well blended.

I was able to burn another sleeve of the cookies by breaking them up and adding pieces to the top of the cupcakes. They were very well received at work and I was able to unload almost all 36 by the end of the day, so I think they were good to people who like that flavor....I tried a little bit of the cake and it tasted horrible to me. Just like a Thin Mint.

3 comments:

  1. So, I love thin mints (Sorry! Thin mint junkie sheepishly raising her hand...), and these look amazing. If only I hadn't eaten all of my yearly allotment in, oh, 24 hours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Stephanie--now I know who I can donate any leftover boxes to!

    ReplyDelete