Saturday, August 24, 2013

Lampwork glass and sterling silver ring

I made the glass bead for this ring a few weeks ago during a quick lampworking session with Ben.  There are special mandrels that allow the bead to have a flat back and no hole going through it.  Perfect for setting in a ring or pendant when all goes well.  They don't always work out; sometimes the shape is not quite right or the bead actually slips off of the mandrel base. But I keep trying because when they do work out, I'm totally enchanted with them.

Although I've made other rings that are similar, one of the things I love about working with glass is that every bead comes out a little bit different even if the colors and the techniques are generally the same.  


I started with a black base and built in some ivory, green and teal layers, then finished it with some fine silver.  The silver starts out as one piece of wire and balls up when it sits on the hot surface of the bead making a little constellation pattern.  


See?  Constellation on the surface and layers of color underneath. 


I made this one really small so it wouldn't be an option for me to keep and have listed it in my Etsy shop.  I have a glass shipment headed my way and am hoping to focus on that for a while - it's almost time to start making the little glow in the dark Halloween beads!

No comments:

Post a Comment