Chocolate Peppermint Bark Sugar Cookies (adapted from Bon Appetit)
4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups (4 sticks) salted butter, at room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large egg yolk
1 bag semisweet mini chocolate chips
1 bag Hershey's Candy Cane Kisses – chopped
7 ounces white chocolate
Several crumbled mini candy canes
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Use a large metal cookie sheet with sides/jelly roll pan (13 x 9 x 2) and lightly spray the bottom of the pan with nonstick spray. Line bottom of pan with long strip of parchment paper, leaving overhang on both short sides of pan.
2. In a mixing bowl, whip the butter until creamy, about 2 minutes. Gradually beat in sugar. Continue beating until mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla, then egg yolks. Gradually add flour and salt, beating on low speed until just blended.
3. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls into prepared baking pan. Using moistened fingertips, press dough to form even layer over bottom of pan. Pierce dough all over with fork.
4. Bake cookie base until light golden brown and slightly puffed and edges begin to come away from sides of pan, start checking about 20 minutes (baking time will vary depending on how thick the sugar cookie layer is). Place pan on rack; immediately sprinkle chocolate chips over the top. Let stand until chocolate softens, about 3 minutes. Using small offset spatula, spread chocolate chips over top of cookie in thin even layer. Immediately sprinkle chopped candy cane kisses and candy cane pieces over the top.
5. Melt white chocolate in the microwave in 30 second bursts, stirring in between. Using fork, drizzle white chocolate all over cookies. Chill until white chocolate is set, about 30 minutes.
6. Using paper overhang as aid, lift cookie from pan and transfer to work surface. Using large knife, cut cookie into irregular pieces.
*Store in refrigerator (or freezer) in airtight containers between layers of waxed paper or parchment paper. Can be stored in the freezer for several weeks.