Saturday, June 6, 2009

Chocolate wrap

I have wanted to try this for a while. Since Sara and I made what seemed like a million cupcakes yesterday afternoon, I stole a couple of them to try wrapping them with chocolate.

I started with two cupcakes and used a circle cutter to shape them.




We didn't have any leftover frosting, so I used melting chocolate as a middle layer and topping. (I had to add sprinkles...it isn't in me to leave something sprinkle-less!).



Time for the chocolate wrap: I spread melting chocolate on a sheet of acetate (I had pre-measured this to be sure it fit around the cake without overlapping). After that, I just wrapped the cake and used tape it to secure it. I was sure this was going to be a disaster, but it was really easy!



I put the cake in the fridge to speed up the cooling process, removed the acetate, and decorated. The final result:



Not bad. Next time, I will be more precise with the chocolate--it ended up being very tall and I cut some away (and chipped it, as the picture shows).

3 comments:

  1. I really like the presentation of this with all of the chocolate chippings around the base. If I were a judge (like on my favorite new show 'Chopped'), I would give this very high marks. I think precision can be boring at times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love that show too! Don't get overly attached, though--there are only like five original episodes. We had it recorded every time it came on and now they are all just repeats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is way cool!! I can't wait to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete